THE COASTAL AREA
Thanks to the short distance from the coast, Ragusa Ibla is easy to reach for most of the seaside locations of the province. Well known for their golden sands and for the shallow and warm water, the local beaches offer chances for bathing, relaxing and entertainment from the beginning of April up to the end of October.
- Marina di Ragusa(25 km) is the most well equipped renowned tourist location in the South-East of Sicily. The tourist harbor was finished in 2009 and has facilities for over 700 boats. Together with the nearby promenade, it offers lots of options for pleasant nights at the seaside.
- Punta Secca (32 km) is a small and attractive vacation hamlet, which recently become famous as set for the TV series “Inspector Montalbano”. The inspector’s house is in fact located at one end of the lighthouse plaza.
- Playa Grande (33 km) is a very small village, more recently built and essentially without any services, which has easy access both to a very nice beach and walk (via the same beach) leading to the Irminio River Mouth Natural Reserve (Foce del Fiume Irminio).
- Punta Braccetto (34 km) is a location hosting several camping areas and is the ideal starting point to reach the adjacent Integral Natural Reserve of Randello, known for its wonderful huge and uncontaminated beach.
- Scoglitti (36km) is a maritime hamlet with a well known fish market and located at the west side of the province. It can be reached from Punta Braccetto passing through the archeological excavation area of Kamarina or (through the hinterland) with a recommended stop at Castello di Donnafugata (Donnafugata’s Castle).
- Donnalucata (36km) is another small maritime hamlet where it’s still possible to wait for the return of the varcuzze, the small fishing boats which still exercise the traditional fishing, and to buy at the local market the fresh (and just landed) fish. We recommend to go to the market very early in the morning, the fresh fish runs out very soon! Donnalucata offers also an attractive area for walks and bathing.
- Sampieri (34km) and Marina di Modica (34km) are seaside vacation places offering chances for lively nights at beach clubs and pubs, often with good live music.
- Pozzallo (36km) is a small maritime city with an ancient nautical tradition and a considerable residential population. Seat of a Commercial Port (in addition to industrial activities in the near hinterland), it offers an enchanting scenario for having a bath or enjoying the night life in a restaurant, a club or a pub. Pozzallo is the bigger fish market of the province and, as well as Scoglitti and Donnalucata, here it’s possible to buy the fish directly from the fishermans coming back in the harbor at early morning or in the near shops. From Pozzallo it’s also very easy to reach Malta in few time by catamaran ( http://www.virtuferries.com/ ).